Wednesday 8 April 2009

The Pleasure and the Pain

Can you have too much of a good thing?

Not only do I get my first ever blog comment this morning (Pat of On a Whimsey - thanks for dropping by), but I also made my first ever encaustic sales on ebay. Two encaustic works are on their way to a new home.

No, not the little fish below, he's still swimming around looking for someone to love him, but a couple of ACEOs in my Spiderweb series. As I look at them sitting here on my desk there's a part of me that doesn't want to part with them. But then again, to think that someone actually wants to buy them is just amazing.

I wonder if other people feel like this about selling their work - totally torn between the excitement of someone swapping their cash for something you've created and the feeling that this is your baby and belongs at home with its creator.

I'm used to the pain versus pleasure aspect of selling my writing and seeing my words in print, but this parting-with-artwork-pain is something I didn't expect.

Plus I worry that my buyer will get the paintings and hate them. Ack!! Sometimes I need a good smack.

PS - Just to balance things out and make sure I don't get too cocky this morning, a rather large council tax bill just landed on my doormat! Talk about thumping back down to earth!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment